Results from Pepsi Sprints
Junior B Women (16 and under): 1st: K. Brock; 3rd: L. Maxwell
Junior C Men (14 and under): 1st: F. Ceja; 2nd I. Ceja
Junior B Men (16 and under): 2nd: J. Brandt
Junior A Men: 1st: S. West; 3rd: E. Moris
Coxswain Race: 3rd: C. Burpee
Kansas State Rowing Association (MJC combined with KSMC) won the All Points trophy for 2018!
Update on the Start of Spring
- Spring officially starts Monday February 26. We ask that each rower bring a friend to practice that day.
- If you haven’t received a copy of the spring itinerary, you can find it here.
- We sent home the information for the Row For Humanity fundraiser last week. Please make sure those get filled and sent out. 33% of the donations go to Habitat for Humanity; the rest will go toward your rower’s spring or spring break dues.
Spring Break is March 18-24.
The first competition of spring will be Prairie Sprints in Wichita on April 7th.
Changes to Practice
Remember, this week is optional between seasons.
Results from Shocker Sprints
- W. Hummel: 3rd place in the Junior Men’s 2km
- K. Brock: 3rd place in the Junior Women’s 2km and 2nd in the Junior Women’s 500m.
The Shocker Sprints officials made a mistake when setting up the Junior Men’s 2km and Junior Men’s Lightweight 2km. Three athletes were put in the wrong category causing the scoring system and the announcers to say the wrong medalists for the Junior Men’s Lightweight. The officials send their apologies for that.
Update on Pepsi Open Indoor Rowing Championship
Held at the Pepsi Distribution Center at 2625 NW Topeka. Please have rowers there no later then 8am. This event also has a coxswain race (1k), as well as Mom, Dad, and little sibling races that are 1 min. The relays are also a blast. These events are 4 rowers per machine, trading off to row a total of 2km.
- Spring Break is sneaking up on us. We know a lot of people are interested. To aid in planning, please let me or one of the board know if you are interested in going on this trip. This will also help us plan fundraising to reduce the cost.
- Row4Humanity: We’ll be sending home letters and information for the Row4Humanity fundraiser. Make sure to look out for that. This will be one of the big pushes to help pay for spring break and spring season.
- Spring Itinerary and schedule will be sent home this week with the rowers.
- www.ManhattanJuniorCrew.org A reminder that we have a website which is kept up-to-date with our coming schedules. If anyone is interested in helping write content for the website, let me know. No programming expertise is needed.
Changes to Practice
- Between Seasons: The practices for 2/19 through 2/23 are optional at the normal time of 3:15-5:15.
- Monday 2/26 is the first official day of Spring and is a Bring-a-Friend day. We’d like all the rowers to bring one friend that day and teach them how to row.
- The Boathouse: We’ll move back out to the boathouse as soon as Tuttle Creek Lake thaws. We are paying close attention to the long term forecasts.