March 11-17, 2023
Spring Break training is an essential jump start to the championship season.
While the combined water and air temps in Manhattan may still be too cold, being able to row twice a day on the Olympic training course just a little further south in Oklahoma City provides the focus, intensity, and fun we need to launch our spring season. This single week is the equivalent of 3 weeks of regular practice back home, so the team returns race-ready with their sights set on the USRowing Regional Championship at the end of the season in May and potentially Nationals beyond that.
- The week before we leave, Thursday and Friday practice times (3:30-5:30pm) will be spent at the boathouse inspecting and loading equipment onto our trailer.
- Saturday morning everyone drives down to Oklahoma City.
- Saturday afternoon, everyone rigs boats in time to go for a row on Day 1!
- Sunday through Thursday: Eat, Row, Eat, Sleep, Row, Eat, Sleep. Rinse, repeat.
- Friday we’ll have a morning row, load our coaches’ launches on the trailer and go home!
- The following Monday’s practice will be spent unloading and storing equipment.
A typical day during Spring Break…
- Breakfast at the hotel around 7:30am. (How much time rowers allow for breakfast is up to them.)
- Stretch, warm up, core by the trailer 8:30 to 9:00
- Morning practice on water 9:00 to 11:30
- 11:30 picnic/bbq lunch provided by parent chaperones
- 12:30 sleep and/or team adventure
- Afternoon practice 3:30 to 5:30.
- 5:30 return to hotel for catered dinner
- 7:00 free time–hang out, play games, do homework, or make use of the hotel pool.
- 9:30 curfew (All rowers back in their own rooms.)
- 10:00 lights out
A down payment of $200 is due 11 Feb 2023.
The whole trip will cost ~$500 per rower, which can be raised through various fundraising opportunities provided in the months prior to travel, such as our annual Row For Humanity.
This cost includes:
- transportation to and from OKC and all transportation during the week.
- hotel rooms and breakfast.
- lunch at the course.
- dinner catered to hotel.
- dock fees.
- equipment transportation.
It does NOT cover:
- food while traveling to and from OKC.
- anything the rowers want to buy separately–souvenirs, snacks, etc.
Depending on how many rowers go, we will need several parents as chaperones for this trip. This entails:
- providing a large vehicle like an SUV or minivan to transport rowers.
- shopping for and preparing lunches at the boathouse.
- ordering and picking up catered food for dinners at the hotel.
- herding cats/managing rowers at the hotel and during off times.
- your gas, hotel, and meals can be reimbursed (if you keep your receipts!!!).
Junior rowers from other teams
If you are interested in joining us on this trip, contact us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
If 4 -5 rowers from your team want to join, we ask that one of your parents join as a chaperone. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can work with you on these plans. Firm deadline to finalize hotel reservations ($200 down payment) 11 Feb 2023.