Sunflower State Games Results
W1x: (K. Brock) 3rd place
(M. Larkin) 4th Place
(C. Burpee) 5th Place
M1x: (M. Pitts) 1st Place
(E. Moris) 4th Place
(S. West) 7th Place
WN2x: (L. Maxwell) 1st Place
Mx4x: (W. Hummel) 1st Place
(M. Pitts) 2nd Place
(G. Terril) 3rd Place
M2x: (G. Terril) 1st Place
(M. Pitts) 3rd Place
(W. Hummel) 4th Place
Mx8+: 1st Place
Mx2x: (G. Terril) 2nd Place
(C. Burpee) 3rd Place
(K. Brock) 4th Place
WN1x: (C. Brandt) 1st Place
(L. Maxwell) DNF
July 23-Aug 3: Last Learn-To-Row Camp
July 28: Last Learn-To-Row Class
Aug 10: Summer ends
Aug 15: First day of school
Aug 20: Fall Begins
Up Next: Bea Richtie
This Saturday, June 9th, at 551 Nims St, Wichita, KS. Please have the athletes there by 8am. Lineups are still to be determined. The events are men’s singles, women’s singles, men’s doubles, women’s doubles, men’s pairs, women’s pairs, mixed doubles, mixed quads, and mixed fours. No men’s or women’s fours, quads, or eights. The last events should be wrapped up by early afternoon.
July 21st: Sunflower State Games, Topeka, KS
Central Youth Championships Results
We did not pass the time trials and will not be going to Nationals this year.
Event 4 M2- (M. Pitts, J. Brandt) 8th place with 8:27
Event 7 W2x (M. Larkin, K. Brock) 10th place with 8:42
Event 12 M4+ (W. Hummel, M. Pitts, J. Brandt, S. West, C. Burpee) 8th place with 7:49
Event 13 W4x (M. Larkin, L. Baldwin, C. Brandt, K. Brock) 11th place with 8:05
Event 29 WN2x (C. Brandt, L. Maxwell) 7th with 9:16
Event 40 MN2x (W. Hummel, S. West) 12th place with 7:59
May 29th: Summer Seasons starts (itinerary coming soon)
June 9: Bea Ritchie Memorial Regatta
June and July: Learn-To-Row summer camps and classes (more information
Changes to practice
Mondays practice will just be unloading and cleaning our equipment. Spring season is over, so from Tuesday to May 29th, practices are non mandatory, but recommended for those who want to continue training for Summer and Fall competitions.
Lake Shawnee Spring Classic Results
- M1x (E. Moris): 2nd Place
- W2x (M. Larkin): 1st Place
- M2x (M. Pitts): 2nd Place
- W4x (K. Brock): 2nd Place
- M4x (W. Hummel): 3rd Place
Up Next: Central Youth Championships
Boathouse District, Oklahoma City, OK 73129
We’ll be up packing up the trailer at practice on Thursday. The Coaches and Coxswains Meeting is at 6:30PM Friday Evening. If you are able to make it to Oklahoma City by then, please do. Otherwise, let me know when you will be arriving so we can relay the relevant information. We’ll try to get our rigging done Friday evening so we don’t have to worry about it Saturday morning.
- Event 4 M2- : M. Pitts, J. Brandt
- Event 7 W2x: M. Larkin, K. Brock
- Event 12 M4+: W. Hummel, M. Pitts, J. Brandt, S. West, C. Burpee
- Event 13 W4x: M. Larkin, L. Baldwin, C. Brandt, K. Brock
- Event 29 WN2x: C. Brandt, L. Maxwell
- Event 40 MN2x: W. Hummel, S. West
This type of championship has multiple rounds and a progression pattern. Each event will run time trials on Saturday. The top 6 boats in each event will run Finals on Sunday; all other boats are eliminated. We won’t know if we have racing on Sunday until we get the results on Saturday. The 1st and 2nd place boats on Sunday in varsity (non-novice) events will get a bid to USRowing Youth National Championship in California.
- June 8th to 10th: USRowing Youth National Championship at Lake Natoma, Rancho Cordova, CA
- May 29th: Summer Seasons starts (itinerary coming soon)
- June and July: Learn-To-Row summer camps and classes (more information)
- Summer Development Rowing (more information)
Changes to practice
We will be unloading the trailer on Monday following Regionals during practice time. Rowers who qualify for Nationals will continue having practice. For all other, practice is optional for the rest of the spring season.
Prairie Sprints Cancelled
Conditions in Wichita turned out to be as cold as predicted. This morning’s wind chill was in the upper 20’s.
Up Next: Lake Shawnee Spring Classic
April 28th at Lake Shawnee, Topeka. We’ll be packing up the Friday before at practice. Rowers will need to be at the race site at 7am. We’ll have a more definite schedule when its closer.
USRowing Central Youth Championships May 5th to 6th at the Boathouse District, Oklahoma City.
This Friday, Taylor and I will be on our way to Illinois for a competition with the college team. Practice is cancelled.
Up Next: Prairie Sprints
Postponed to this Sunday, April 15th at 899 South Wichita St, Wichita, KS. Please have the rowers there by 9am. We’ll be packing up the trailer on Friday at practice.
- Lake Shawnee Spring Classic April 28th at Lake Shawnee, Topeka.
- USRowing Central Youth Championships May 5th to 6th at the Boathouse District, Oklahoma City.
Reminder to have appropriate layers for both cold and hot weather. Athletic shoes should be brought to practice in case of land training.
I apologize for missing the updates the last two Sundays. Spring Break was busy and hectic, but we got a lot of work done. The weather was warm and the water was flat. By the end of the week, we totaled somewhere in the range of 100,000 meters.
Prairie Sprints: This Saturday, April 7th at 899 South Wichita St, Wichita, KS. Please have the rowers there by 9am. We’ll be packing up the trailer on Friday at practice.
Lake Shawnee Spring Classic April 28th in Topeka.
Row For Humanity: This Tuesday, the rowers will do their Erg-a-Thon for Row For Humanity. The location is still to be determined.
- Meeting: a brief informational MJC parents meeting on Sunday, March 11 to ensure that everyone knows what is happening with MJC. Topics will include spring break, fund raising and the spring session. Exact time is to be determined, please contact Chris Brandt or Wesley.
- Dues: Spring dues are due immediately. Spring break dues are due March 16. If there’s any concerns, questions, or need to set up a schedule, contact Marcia
- Spring Break: March 18-24. We’re still looking for a chaperone to help shuttle the rowers.
- Spring Truck: Our first and second sources for renting a truck for the spring season have fallen through. If you have any information on businesses that rent large trucks for towing, please contact Wesley.
Changes to practice
We’re back at the boathouse starting Monday! We won’t be on the water every day with temperatures still fluctuating, but we will be working out at the boathouse either way.
Dressing for cold weather:
- Rowers need to have an extra change of clothes with them every day.
- NO COTTON base layers, rowers need to have a moisture wicking base layer. Tshirts are not adequate base layers.
- Cotton based outerwear that is easily removed will be permitted.
Dressing for rowing:
- No pockets, if you’re outerwear (ie hoodie or jacket) does have pockets they need to be zipped up the entire practice or if it is a hoodie pocket you’ll be asked to turn it inside out.
- NO LOOSE CLOTHING, rowers wearing basketball shorts or other loose pants will catch in the seats tracks.
- Athletic sneakers are required, slides or sandles suggested for water training.
- Rowers need to come to practice prepared for land or water training.
These rules are points are designed to protect the health and safety of the athletes. If an athlete is not properly dressed, they will not be on the water and may be given a land workout instead.