March 18-24, 2018
Dock located on the Brazos river next to Baylor University, Waco, TX.
Housing at Ramada Hewitt
We get to spend a lot of time on the water on the Brazos river and eat at the Baylor University Dining halls. Depending on the weather, this may be our first time back in boats. Some years it is. Its a lot of work, but the rowers always talk afterward about how much fun it is. They get to hangout between practices and bond over how tired they are and how much food they’re eating. This one week is equivalent to 3 weeks of regular practice. Our rowers come back from this trip ready to race.
- Thursday and Friday (Mar 15,16) practices will be spent inspecting and loading equipment onto our trailer.
- Saturday (Mar 17) The coach will take the trailer down to Waco.
- Sunday (Mar 18) the caravan of rowers and parent chaperones will travel to Waco.
- Monday through Friday (Mar 19-23): Eat, Sleep, Row, Repeat.
- Saturday (Mar 24) we’ll return to Manhattan
- Monday practice will be unloading and storing equipment.
A typical day during Spring Break
- Breakfast at the hotel around 7:30am. How much time they allow for breakfast is up to them.
- Warmups and calisthenics at the docks next Baylor’s campus at 8:30 to 9:00
- Morning practice on water 9:00 to 11:30
- 11:30 walk to the Baylor Dining hall for lunch.
- 12:30 Once everyone is done, they can return the hotel for a couple hours.
- Afternoon practice 3:30 to 5:30.
- 5:30 Walk to dinner
- 7:00 Return to the hotel for the night. Rowers are free to hangout, play games, do homework, or make use of the hotel pool.
- All rowers back in their own rooms by 9:30pm. Lights out at 10.
Thursday will be slightly different. We’ll have an earlier and longer morning practice known as the Northern Row to Mexico. Instead of an afternoon practice, we’ll do some activity local that is yet to be determined and then dinner out at a local restaurant.
Friday afternoon practices will be shorter, followed by an hour of derigging boats before dinner. We’ll finish loading up Saturday morning before we head out.
The whole trip will cost $450 per rower. This cost includes
- transportation to and from Waco and all transportation during the week.
- hotel rooms and breakfast.
- lunch and dinners at Baylor.
- dock fees.
- equipment transportation.
It does NOT cover
- food while traveling to and from Waco
- the Thursday meal out
- anything the rowers want to buy from Baylor’s campus store
We will have several parents as chaperones for this trip. This entails
- providing a large vehicle like an SUV or minivan to transport rowers.
- shuttling rowers back and forth between hotel and practice.
- herding cats/managing rowers at the hotel and during off times.
- gas, hotel, and meals at Baylor are covered.
Junior rowers from other teams
If you are interested in joining us on this trip, contact us here: email@example.com
If 4 -5 rowers from your team want to join, we ask that one of your parents join as a chaperone. Please let us know as soon as possible so we can work with you on these plans. Firm deadline to finalize hotel reservations is February 23.